Serves: 4-5 ppl
- 4 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 4 lbs short ribs (4-6 pieces) patted dry
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups stock or water
- 3 tbsp mole negro starter
- ¼ white onion
- 1 stalk celery
- ½ carrot
- 4 garlic
- Preheat your oven to 275 F.
- Add the oil to a large stainless steel pot or braiser and place on high heat. Season the ribs generously with salt and pepper. Once hot, sear the ribs in batches until browned on all sides. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Reduce the pot to medium heat and add the garlic, onion, celery, and carrot. Cook the vegetables until the garlic has browned and the onion is translucent. Add the red wine and deglaze the pot, making sure to scrape all the caramelization from the bottom of the pot. Add the mole starter and whisk until fully combined.
- Allow the mixture to come up to a simmer, then cook for 3 minutes. Add the short ribs back to the pot and pour in the stock. Add the thyme, then cover with a lid and place in the oven for 4 hours undisturbed.
- After 4 hours, remove the short ribs from the oven. Carefully, remove the short ribs the cooking vessel. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain out the solids from the cooking liquid.
- Serve the short ribs with seasonal roasted vegetables and the reduced wine mole sauce.