Now that lent is upon us, we decided to share with you all a recipe we created in collaboration w the Super Mamas and Northgate Markets. If you are reading this and live in Southern California, then you are familiar with Northgate Markets, our favorite neighborhood grocer. The Super Mamas created this delicious lent favorite recipe for all of you to enjoy. If you are skeptical about the crab/pear/mole combo, please, don't be. We tested out the recipe in our test kitchen and we are absolute fans. Also, If making chiles rellenos scares you, then just make the filling part of the recipe, spread it over a tostada and drizzle some mole on top. Believe us, they are just as delicious.
- 6 pasilla peppers charred, peeled, and seedless
- 1 cup Mole Guelaguetza (red or black)
- ½ lb. imitation crab meat
- 1 pear, diced
- ½ white onion, diced
- 3 tbsp. oil
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 Hidden Villa Ranch eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 3 tbsp. flour
- Frying oil
- Char, peel, and remove seeds from pasilla peppers then set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add imitation crab meat, pear, and raisins. Grind tomatoes with sugar and add to saucepan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill each charred pasilla pepper with mixture from saucepan and then coat each pepper with flour. Set aside.
- Beat Hidden Villa Ranch egg whites until reaching a firm consistency, then mix in egg yolks gently.
- Dip the flour coated chiles into the batter and fry in abundant hot oil until golden on both sides. Drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Prepare mole sauce per label instructions and serve chiles rellenos bathed in mole sauce.