1 turkey (med/lrg), thawed
3 gallons water
1 ¾ cup salt (coarse kosher)(diamond crystal)
1 ½ cup white sugar
10 juniper berries
15 black peppercorns
6 bay leaf
1 tbsp mexican oregano
½ bunch thyme
2 sprigs rosemary
2 cups chicken stock or water
- Place all ingredients in a large stock pot and place on high heat. Stir occasionally to ensure the salt and sugar dissolve. Once the brine reaches a boil, remove from heat and allow to reach room temperature. In a separate container, add the turkey then the brine to cover. Place the turkey in a refrigerator for at least 12 but no more than 24 hours. Once brined, remove the turkey from the liquid and discard the brine. Rince the outside of the turkey and the cavity of any remaining brine and salt. Pat the turkey dry and set aside in a roasting tray at room temperature for 40 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees. Once preheated, add the chicken stock or water to the bottom of the roasting tray and place the turkey in the oven, breast side up. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees.
- Baste the turkey every 45 minutes to ensure an even browning and that the turkey stays moist. If the breasts or legs begin to darken faster than the rest of the bird, place a layer of foil over the darker spots to protect it.
- Depending on the weight of the bird, the cook time should be between 3-4 hours. The internal temperature of the turkey should be at least 165 degrees at its thickest point. Once cooked, allow the turkey to rest for 40 minutes to an hour before carving.
- Once rested, serve immediately with mole negro.