makes 2 cups
1 cup grain alcohol (or 80+ proof vodka)
1 tbsp quassia bark
1 cup water
¼ cup demerara sugar
- Add the alcohol, quassia bark, and mole paste to a glass jar. Muddle the mole to help it begin to break down. Cover with a lid and store for 7 days, shaking once everyday.
- Strain the mixture making sure to reserve the solids.
- Add the water and demerara sugar, and the strained mole and quassia to a pot. Cook the mixture on high heat until it comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool, then combine it with the alcohol back in the jar. Store the mixture for an additional 5 days.
- Strain the mixture through 100 grade cheesecloth, making sure not to press any of the solids.
- Store the finished bitters in a glass dash bottle, or glass bottle with a dropper.